Yearly Archives: 2011
On December 19, 1997, Kathleen and Noel Smith purchased a dilapidated old rooming house on Broadway. It took great vision (and a very helpful local bank) to renovate, restore and reopen this 1870 building as Saratoga Arms a sixteen-room hotel in 1998. As we reflect upon the past 14 years, we are thankful for the changes that our Saratoga Springs Hotel has brought into our lives.
- In 1999, The Preservation Foundation recognized the restoration effort as a positive contribution to the preservation of the historic downtown district.
- In 2002, Amy Smith, the eldest Smith daughter, joined the family business as General Manager.
- In 2005, a new addition that doubled the size of Saratoga Arms to 31 rooms was opened with an executive meeting room and workout facilities, just in time to welcome Skidmore graduation parents and families.
- In 2009, Sheila Smith Sperling, the middle of the three Smith daughters, joined the family business as Group Sales Manager.
- Interspersed over the years, 6 grandchildren have expanded the family, possibly assuring that the family business will continue for a third generation.
- Over 60,000 guests have walked through our doors, some famous, some infamous and many not so famous guests including politicians, celebrities and horse breeders. Those who return year after year are more than just guests, they have become good friends.
- We have seen the changing times from CD players to iPod alarm clocks, old tube television to flat screens, corded high speed internet access to wireless throughout, and a user-friendly interactive website with all the bells and whistles of the digital age.
It’s the silver anniversary of Saratoga Springs’ holiday kick off extravaganza near Saratoga Arms. This Upstate New York city is transformed into a Victorian Winter Wonderland on December 1, 2011 from 6-10pm. The main street of Broadway is closed to vehicle traffic as thousands of people take to the streets.
There are over 50 venues of entertainment, from musicians and singers to magicians and Santa himself, there to delight old and young. Our Saratoga Springs Hotel always has a caroling group on the front steps. And many dress in traditional Victorian outfits for the evening.
The shops stay open and many locations serve free hot beverages and treats. It is a wonderful way to start your holiday season.
Amy and Sheila, the Smith sisters from our Saratoga Springs Bed and Breakfast, dressed as Victorian ladies during last year’s streetwalk. Take a peak at their experience.
On September 1, 2011, residents from Saratoga Springs, NY participated in a citywide Lip Dub. People in costume (many with props) lined the downtown street to lip sync to 3 Train songs. On September 27th, the premiere of the finished product was shown on the big screen of The Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) and we have the full video below for your enjoyment.
We have tabulated our list of the 10 things you might not know about the Saratoga Lip Dub…interesting behind the scenes morsels, a little idea of who these people are, and just a few reasons why Saratoga Springs is a great place to live and a better place to visit. Our list is in chronological order. So as you watch, read our list and follow along.
1. Shauna Sutton, Deputy Mayor of Saratoga Springs, had the “Hey Soul Sister” lyrics taped to her back for anyone behind her to read. She is located at the beginning of the video at the Saratoga Springs City Center, dressed in a blue suit.
3. The porch of Saratoga Arms was filled with many, many, many family members, friends, neighbors, classmates and members of Saratoga Pride.
4. The large wagon filled with garden fresh vegetables (the woman was singing into a zucchini) was from local farms that participate in the Saratoga Farmers’ Market, just voted the 2nd best medium sized farmers market in the country.
5. The Victorian Era dressed people walking across the street participate every year at the Saratoga Springs Victorian Street Walk. The Street Walk will be held this year on Thursday, December 1, 2011.
6. No people or animals were injured during the making of this video. The boy on the stretcher was an actor and we have a wonderful city hospital. 🙂
8. What is the poster of the crazy-haired lady with all of the squigglies? Why, it’s the Saratoga Springs Annual First Night, a New Year’s Eve event with music all over the city…and fireworks at midnight.
9. I have looked but I have never seen a human slot machine or life sized dice at the Saratoga Casino and Raceway. I’m still looking though. What would be the return?
10. Over 1,000 people attended the finale in historic Congress Park. What a great way to spend a summer afternoon.
Yaddo is something of a Saratoga Springs legend and mystery. This upstate New York artists’ retreat has been an haven of privacy and focus for many famous artists since its doors were first opened in 1926. Each year more than 200 individuals are invited to spend anywhere from two weeks to two months to hone their craft. Many renowned artists have spent time living and working at Yaddo through the years including John Cheever, Truman Capote, Langston Hughes and Sylvia Plath – just to name a few.
Rarely has Yaddo opened its doors to the public. The only public areas are the lovely outdoor gardens that grace the 400-acre estate. Yet on September 18, Yaddo is opening its doors for the first time in 8 years for a public tour of the Yaddo Mansion and West House. Visitors will see the wonderful architecture of these houses, including enormous stained glass windows, fireplace mosaics and original furnishings and artwork. The 2-hour tour also includes the viewing of artists’ studios and outdoor burial grounds.
The event will be held rain or shine at a rate of $40 per person. The 2-hour tour slots fill quickly and the only remaining reservation times available are September 18th at 8:30am or 4:00pm. Reservations are ONLY available by advance booking via Yaddo’s website. Please note that the final day for placing a reservation will be Thursday, September 15th at 5:00pm.
Take this opportunity to peek into an era and place that few ever get to see. It may be another decade before the folks at Yaddo open their door again.
To get an inside look, click the Yaddo Mansion below for a video tour.
Friends and family of Saratoga Arms were featured in a city-wide Lip Dub. A Lip Dub…what is that? It is a one take, unedited lip sync that has become all the rage on YouTube. Being the brainchild of the Saratoga County Chamber, they thought it would be a great way to promote the city. The video featured 3 Train songs (their drummer is a Saratoga Springs grad and classmate of Saratoga Arms’ own Sheila Smith) and incorporated between 3,000 – 5,000 people along the main street of Broadway in downtown Saratoga Springs.
The premiere will be held on September 27th, between 6 – 8 pm at the Saratoga Springs City Center. At that time, it will go live on YouTube and other Internet sites. We are looking for over 10 million views. Be sure to keep a look out for Saratoga Lip Dub!
The Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) is having Def Leppard and Heart as a rocking 80’s double bill on Sunday, July 10th. Remember those days of big hair and men in tights? The 80’s had a certain hold on fashion that we haven’t seen in some time.
If you want to relive that time and listen to some wonderful music, Groupon has just announced quite a deal on tickets. They are offering 51% off one ticket. It is a great way to experience Saratoga Springs in the summer at a great venue. Of course they have a limited amount of tickets and the deal expires soon and you need to sign up for the Albany/Capital Region of New York.
Of course, if you want to make a night of it, Saratoga Arms has availability for Sunday, July 10th. Head into town in the afternoon, check in at our wonderful Saratoga Springs hotel, hit the town, have an early dinner and go to the concert. Many of the staff grew up in the 80’s and would love to hear all about the concert during our complimentary breakfast the next morning.
Saratoga Springs, NY and the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, which is just a mile from our Saratoga Springs Hotel, is home to the annual Freihofer’s Jazz Festival, June 25th and 26th. For 34 years the biggest names in Jazz have descended upon Saratoga Springs for a wonderful weekend of music, and guests at the Saratoga Arms always have a fabulous time there. This year the stage will be graced by the following outstanding acts:
- Michael McDonald
- Dee Dee Bridgewater
- Geroge Wein the Newport All Stars
- Jack DeJohnette Group
- Eliane Elias
- Ben Allison Band
- Lionel Loueke Trio
- Sing the Truth
- A Night in Treme
- Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
- The Bad Plus
- Tia Fuller Quartet
- Pedrito Martinez Group
If you have never been to the festival or maybe want to spot an old friend, have a look at the video below that the folks at SPAC have produced. Don’t miss out on all the excitement as it’s an unforgettable experience for all!
The long winter is slowly coming to an end and you are probably itching to experience a weekend getaway to Saratoga Springs. Did you know that our Saratoga Springs hotel offers one of the most unique Spring packages in the Upstate New York Area? Here are the five reasons why the Bed and Brew Weekend is a Saratoga Springs Package that you won’t soon forget.
1 – Saratoga Springs – A beautiful city that has a very walkable downtown with unique shops and restaurants, a wealth of history, national museums and, of course, the famous mineral waters.
2 – The VIP Brewery Tour – On Saturday, we transport you to the Olde Saratoga Brewing Company for an exclusive VIP tour of the brewery. Bob will be your guide as he takes you from the grain room all of the way through to the bottling area. He is excited to share his wealth of brewing knowledge and there are many opportunities to taste the many varieties of beer that are presently being brewed throughout the tour.
3 – Beer pairing dinner at Sperry’s – Following the Brewery tour we will hop back on the bus for the 4-course beer pairing dinner at Sperry’s Restaurant, specially prepared by Executive Chef Dale Miller. Dale is one of only 66 Certified Master Chefs in the US and we are thrilled to have him in Saratoga Springs. He and his staff will guide you through each course and tell us how each is prepared and why it goes so well with the paired beer.
4 – Saratoga Arms – We are a family run luxury hotel in Saratoga Springs located in the heart of downtown and rated #1 on TripAdvisor. The hotel is run by native Saratogians, the Smith Family. The beer weekend is hosted by the Smith daughters, either Amy or Sheila. Kathleen, the mom, has an abundance of Saratoga information, both historical and current, and Noel, the dad, is your cook for breakfast each morning.
5 – Breakfast…speaking of breakfast. Included in your package is a perfect way to start your fun filled day. We have an inviting buffet with homemade baked goods, cereals, yogurts, fruit, bagels and juices. Noel also prepares a cooked to order item from the kitchen. His omelettes are out of this world and his Irish breakfasts are renowned. Kathleen tells people that she was thin before she met him.
The April Bed and Brew weekend is the last one of 2011. Remember, “in Heaven there is no beer…that is why you should be drinking here”. Come join us!
COME ON DOWN…
Saratoga Arms, the Saratoga Racecourse and Saratoga Springs will be featured on the The Price is Right on Thursday, February 17th as one of the Showcase Showdowns. We are thrilled to be part of this package!!
Set your DVR or TIVO to see if we have a winner. We will be watching!!
Check your local listings for air time.