It’s the silver anniversary of Saratoga Springs’ holiday kick off extravaganza near Saratoga Arms. This Upstate New York city is transformed into a Victorian Winter Wonderland on December 1, 2011 from 6-10pm. The main street of Broadway is closed to vehicle traffic as thousands of people take to the streets.
There are over 50 venues of entertainment, from musicians and singers to magicians and Santa himself, there to delight old and young. Our Saratoga Springs Hotel always has a caroling group on the front steps. And many dress in traditional Victorian outfits for the evening.
The shops stay open and many locations serve free hot beverages and treats. It is a wonderful way to start your holiday season.
Amy and Sheila, the Smith sisters from our Saratoga Springs Bed and Breakfast, dressed as Victorian ladies during last year’s streetwalk. Take a peak at their experience.
On September 1, 2011, residents from Saratoga Springs, NY participated in a citywide Lip Dub. People in costume (many with props) lined the downtown street to lip sync to 3 Train songs. On September 27th, the premiere of the finished product was shown on the big screen of The Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) and we have the full video below for your enjoyment.
We have tabulated our list of the 10 things you might not know about the Saratoga Lip Dub…interesting behind the scenes morsels, a little idea of who these people are, and just a few reasons why Saratoga Springs is a great place to live and a better place to visit. Our list is in chronological order. So as you watch, read our list and follow along.
1. Shauna Sutton, Deputy Mayor of Saratoga Springs, had the “Hey Soul Sister” lyrics taped to her back for anyone behind her to read. She is located at the beginning of the video at the Saratoga Springs City Center, dressed in a blue suit.
3. The porch of Saratoga Arms was filled with many, many, many family members, friends, neighbors, classmates and members of Saratoga Pride.
4. The large wagon filled with garden fresh vegetables (the woman was singing into a zucchini) was from local farms that participate in the Saratoga Farmers’ Market, just voted the 2nd best medium sized farmers market in the country.
5. The Victorian Era dressed people walking across the street participate every year at the Saratoga Springs Victorian Street Walk. The Street Walk will be held this year on Thursday, December 1, 2011.
6. No people or animals were injured during the making of this video. The boy on the stretcher was an actor and we have a wonderful city hospital. 🙂
8. What is the poster of the crazy-haired lady with all of the squigglies? Why, it’s the Saratoga Springs Annual First Night, a New Year’s Eve event with music all over the city…and fireworks at midnight.
9. I have looked but I have never seen a human slot machine or life sized dice at the Saratoga Casino and Raceway. I’m still looking though. What would be the return?
10. Over 1,000 people attended the finale in historic Congress Park. What a great way to spend a summer afternoon.
Saratoga Springs, NY and the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, which is just a mile from our Saratoga Springs Hotel, is home to the annual Freihofer’s Jazz Festival, June 25th and 26th. For 34 years the biggest names in Jazz have descended upon Saratoga Springs for a wonderful weekend of music, and guests at the Saratoga Arms always have a fabulous time there. This year the stage will be graced by the following outstanding acts:
- Michael McDonald
- Dee Dee Bridgewater
- Geroge Wein the Newport All Stars
- Jack DeJohnette Group
- Eliane Elias
- Ben Allison Band
- Lionel Loueke Trio
- Sing the Truth
- A Night in Treme
- Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
- The Bad Plus
- Tia Fuller Quartet
- Pedrito Martinez Group
If you have never been to the festival or maybe want to spot an old friend, have a look at the video below that the folks at SPAC have produced. Don’t miss out on all the excitement as it’s an unforgettable experience for all!